Shrinkflation

SamSpade

I don't remember all the details, plus there was math involved (which explains my mental block), but this was an argument when I was growing up about how screwed we would be if we converted to the metric system; how they could charge us the same, or more, but we'd get less product, since metric sizes were smaller than imperial - or whatever the hell system it is we use.

Still wonder why we don't - but there'd be a lot of confusion. It's 21 degrees out - and that's ok. You weigh 120 kilograms - honey you have to LOSE WEIGHT. Sir, did you know you were doing 88? Yes, officer - that's the same as 55 mph.

And so on. Mile long races. It's not impossible - but we have to change how we think about stuff.

Fortunately we already do metric in lots of things like science. You do your pills in milligrams, but we still measure recipes in teaspoons.
We do races by 100 meter, 200 meter - but horse races are in miles and furlongs.

Reactions: BOP

HemiHauler

Still wonder why we don't - but there'd be a lot of confusion. It's 21 degrees out - and that's ok. You weigh 120 kilograms - honey you have to LOSE WEIGHT. Sir, did you know you were doing 88? Yes, officer - that's the same as 55 mph.

And so on. Mile long races. It's not impossible - but we have to change how we think about stuff.

Fortunately we already do metric in lots of things like science. You do your pills in milligrams, but we still measure recipes in teaspoons.
We do races by 100 meter, 200 meter - but horse races are in miles and furlongs.

The U.S. standardized on the metric system just after the Civil War (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_Act_of_1866), but wasn't made mandatory for everyday use. All of our units of measure are based on their metric or base-10 equivalents. For example, 1 U.S. gallon is defined legally as 3.785411784 liters. One pound is legally defined as .45359237 kg. One foot is .3048 m. We remember our Imperial units due to familiarity, but it's all based on metric, even if we don't realize it.

Base-10 is a much easier system than our convoluted scale.

When I worked in Europe, you learn this little idiot's bridge for temperature in celsius.

30 is hot
20 is nice
10 is cool
0 is ice

The rest just falls into place from there.

Start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_the_United_States

herb749

22# bag yesterday. $45!!!!

I would get Iam's for my son's 2 labs at Sam's. 50# bag $36.98. Nows is $47.98. I heard there is an issue with grains for the food.

I've also noticed a shortage of store brand items. The ones large companies would make for them aren't being made.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I would get Iam's for my son's 2 labs at Sam's. 50# bag $36.98. Nows is $47.98. I heard there is an issue with grains for the food.

I've also noticed a shortage of store brand items. The ones large companies would make for them aren't being made.
It's insane.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Lah de dah. I don't notice any of them being a global superpower or revolutionizing anything of note.

Probably that metric system makes them lazy and dumb.
Well...since most of our (SGI and my company) systems are exported to shipyards the world over.....we have to deliver everything in metric units. You know..because that is what the rest of the entire world uses. That.

TPD

the poor dad
A couple weeks ago I needed ice cream. Picked up my usual Turkey Hill but for some reason I looked at the package size - 1.44qt - WTAF!! I got the 1.5qt Breyers instead - I don’t care what the price is - it’s the principal! It pissed me off when the ice cream was reduced from a half gallon to 1.75qt 15 years ago - the last bowl was never enough.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Cake mixes is the one that irritates me.

Rum Cake, recipe booklet printed by Bacardi in the 70s. I have such fond memories of mama making and serving this after Christmas dinner. So, I was gonna make one. Starts with a Duncan Heinzes yellow cake mix, as printed in the booklet. I was so dissappointed that my cake was a squat little thing, and mama's was tall and beautiful.

And mine got everyone drunk.

GD mix went from18.25 oz to 15.75.

And when I called them up to complain, I was informed that the "new formula" made the same cake. THEN she wanted my address to send me some coupons for free cake mix. AFTER I FINISHED TELLING HER THE CAKE MIX WAS CRAP!!!!

Guess we need to add cake mix to the boycotted list.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Oh, and my family-famous Chicken Sausage Gumbo. The one everyone askes me to make for their birthday because it's such I process I seldom make it.

I'm sure the roof shuddered on the house when I realized my pound package of hot smoked sausage that I always used was 12 oz.

Clem72

For your consideration ...

Anyone notice there are some bacon brands now selling in 12oz packaging?
They have been doing that for a long time. I don't notice any more 12oz than previous, and I still see all the same 1lb packages as before (though about a buck more expensive per package).

What I have noticed is breakfast cereal is quickly approaching the size where it will not actually be sufficient for a single meal for 3 kids before school.