Over Crabbed, Over Fished and Over Hunted

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

According to research from William & Mary, the osprey population in the Chesapeake Bay is declining due to a lack of menhaden. Menhaden are a key food source for ospreys, and the species prefer them because they school on the surface, making them easy to catch. However, some say that the menhaden population in Mobjack Bay and the Chesapeake Bay as a whole is not enough to support the osprey population.

It sounds like the Ospreys which are migratory birds may be in trouble. They like menhaden. However, I haven't seen any in the Bay for quite some time. The Ospreys suffer as a result of very little food to eat. Therefore, their young may die of starvation. Folks have told me that quite a few nesting platforms remain empty. This is not a good sign.

In addition, I noticed there is a significant reduction of ducks that we used to have in the Bay by now. We used to have quite few Mallards and other ducks. Now, it is hardly any. Perhaps it is still early for them and they haven't migrated yet. But, it is almost June. I think hardly any is it for this year. And probably the years to come as well.

We used to have crabs hanging from piers. Not anymore. We used to have schools of fish all over the Bay. Not anymore. We used to have plenty of ducks. Not anymore. I wonder what our wonderful elected officals are doing to help the situation?

It's not that crabs are being over fished causing the problem you describe. It is a commercial fishery, Omega Protein, who's parent company is based out of Canada, with their subsidiary, Omega Protein Corporation, headquartered in Reedville Virginia that, is siphoning up all the menhaden that they possibly can. They even use spotter planes to direct their large netting ships to where the menhaden balled up schools are located.

They operate south of the Maryland/Virginia line and are destroying the bay's ecosystem solely for greed/profit. It is a Virginia created political grift operation.

They are the main reason the feed stock in the bay is declining. As well as causing a decline in the rockfish population and for other fish species.

Kinnakeet

According to research from William & Mary, the osprey population in the Chesapeake Bay is declining due to a lack of menhaden. Menhaden are a key food source for ospreys, and the species prefer them because they school on the surface, making them easy to catch. However, some say that the menhaden population in Mobjack Bay and the Chesapeake Bay as a whole is not enough to support the osprey population.

It sounds like the Ospreys which are migratory birds may be in trouble. They like menhaden. However, I haven't seen any in the Bay for quite some time. The Ospreys suffer as a result of very little food to eat. Therefore, their young may die of starvation. Folks have told me that quite a few nesting platforms remain empty. This is not a good sign.

In addition, I noticed there is a significant reduction of ducks that we used to have in the Bay by now. We used to have quite few Mallards and other ducks. Now, it is hardly any. Perhaps it is still early for them and they haven't migrated yet. But, it is almost June. I think hardly any is it for this year. And probably the years to come as well.

We used to have crabs hanging from piers. Not anymore. We used to have schools of fish all over the Bay. Not anymore. We used to have plenty of ducks. Not anymore. I wonder what our wonderful elected officals are doing to help the situation?
NOTHING as they dont care

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

It's not that crabs are being over fished causing the problem you describe. It is a commercial fishery, Omega Protein, who's parent company is based out of Canada, with their subsidiary, Omega Protein Corporation, headquartered in Reedville Virginia that, is siphoning up all the menhaden that they possibly can. They even use spotter planes to direct their large netting ships to where the menhaden balled up schools are located.

They operate south of the Maryland/Virginia line and are destroying the bay's ecosystem solely for greed/profit. It is a Virginia created political grift operation.

They are the main reason the feed stock in the bay is declining. As well as causing a decline in the rockfish population and for other fish species.

I was wondering when this name was going to get mentioned. They've taken millions of tons of fish out of the bay, surprise you can't take the keystone food source out without damaging (destroying) the entire ecosystem.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

I can see why this one was rejected, it was just a bunch of signatures without any supporting figures. Statements without facts and figures are opinions.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
One the most immediate threats to river/bay health is the exploding blue cat population, that is quickly adapting to higher and higher levels of salinity (i.e. moving farther out of fresher water tributaries and in to lower Potomac and Chesapeake Bay. Smooth move, Virginia.

Fortunately, they are very tasty and commercial processing capacity is being established at a rapid pace.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
One the most immediate threats to river/bay health is the exploding blue cat population, that is quickly adapting to higher and higher levels of salinity (i.e. moving farther out of fresher water tributaries and in to lower Potomac and Chesapeake Bay. Smooth move, Virginia.

Fortunately, they are very tasty and commercial processing capacity is being established at a rapid pace.
Same with the snake heads. If you can catch them, there's a market waiting for them.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I didn't see the final outcome of the recent legislation that was on the table to severely restrict the waiver of Living Shoreline requirements. And 80% waivered??..where did that statistic come from? It certainly isn't evident where I'm living...
I got that a couple months ago from a blurb from CBF about the legislation. Big projects like you deal with don't get the waiver but that guy with 100' does.
Here's one, although it doesn't give the number. Waivers are described as "routine".

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I got that a couple months ago from a blurb from CBF about the legislation. Big projects like you deal with don't get the waiver but that guy with 100' does.
Here's one, although it doesn't give the number. Waivers are described as "routine".
Ah..I can see that being the case; that the little 100' or less shorelines get a Living Shoreline waiver. That's something I have seen here on the island and surrounding area. Of the five neighbors immediately to the north of me, four have "old-school" armored shorelines and one has a Living Shoreline solution. Of the four armored, two were recently done.

I'm happy with the Living Shoreline along my exposed waterfront...marsh grass returned very vigorously* and we can see all the minnows going in and out of the "pools" that were created from the overlapping stone revetments..

*Had a healthy shoreline marsh keeping erosion under control up until the early 2000s when nutria totally destroyed it.

StmarysCity79

The problem is not " non english speakers keeping a few extra fish"

The problem is factory chicken farms fertilizer waste running off into the bay and creating algae blooms that cloud the water and kill everything else.

As well as runoff from treating lawns, golf courses and farms.

When white people first arrived in the bay it was so clear you could see the bottom and the oysters filtered the entire bay daily. We have thrown off that balance.

DC and Alexandria are doing some good things in terms of catching storm water and waste water and treating it before it hits the bay but big Agriculture has bought up all the politicians to keep them from doing anything about the chicken farms and other factory farms that just dump their waste water and fertilizers.

LightRoasted

If I may ...

The problem is factory chicken farms fertilizer waste running off into the bay and creating algae blooms that cloud the water and kill everything else.

When white people first arrived in the bay it was so clear you could see the bottom and the oysters filtered the entire bay daily. We have thrown off that balance.

DC and Alexandria are doing some good things in terms of catching storm water and waste water and treating it before it hits the bay but big Agriculture has bought up all the politicians to keep them from doing anything about the chicken farms and other factory farms that just dump their waste water and fertilizers.

It's those damn White people's fault!!!! It matters not if the bay was crystal clear once again with bay grasses growing everywhere with all the pollution removed. Without feed fish, such as menhaden, all fish stocks will continue to suffer. Feeding fish will target any remaining feed stocks, such as crabs and other smaller fish, depleting those as well. Virginia, for all intents and purposes, is waging an economic war against Maryland's fisheries by continuing to allow the gross harvesting of the menhaden population. Now, why the "Save the Bay" activists, and others such as the Maryland Attorney General, haven't filed a lawsuit against Virginia, or gotten the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service involved to stop the raping of the Chesapeake Bay of its food stocks, is beyond me.

thurley42

HY;FR

🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

Bare-ya-cuda

So non English people keeping extra fish isn’t a problem? Limits are set for a reason and these people you speak of usually show up by the hundreds if not thousands to fish on any nice weekend in the state. So it’s not really just “ a few extra fish” as you say. It’s also a high probability that those people you defend probably don’t have a fishing license either. You sound like a journalist the way you down played the non English speaking fisherman’s actions.

Last edited:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

It's those damn White people's fault!!!! It matters not if the bay was crystal clear once again with bay grasses growing everywhere with all the pollution removed. Without feed fish, such as menhaden, all fish stocks will continue to suffer. Feeding fish will target any remaining feed stocks, such as crabs and other smaller fish, depleting those as well. Virginia, for all intents and purposes, is waging an economic war against Maryland's fisheries by continuing to allow the gross harvesting of the menhaden population. Now, why the "Save the Bay" activists, and others such as the Maryland Attorney General, haven't filed a lawsuit against Virginia, or gotten the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service involved to stop the raping of the Chesapeake Bay of its food stocks, is beyond me.
The most recent one:
Against Omega:

Other:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

Damn... Took you all week to make bail?

WTH did you do this time?

Soliciting?

Distribution?

Unnatural Acts with a Marsupial?