Hitting the road

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Choosing the rig is a fun yet annoying dilemma.

How'd you come down to gas A and towing a car? I used to figure a diesel, at 25,000 miles a year or so, would be 4 mpg better than gas, saving $4-5 k a year on fuel, 10 years, pays for the diesel.

At the time I was shopping this was the best deal I found. I needed a lot of under storage space. It was 2 years old with only 2,400 miles on it. It showed brand new. First owners only had it a short time then traded it in for a different RV. I don't recall if they bought larger or smaller. Given the knowledge I had at the time it seemed like the best fit for me. I didn't want the have a trailered home as I still find backing them up somewhat difficult. I know about the hands on the steering wheel trick but it still doesn't guarantee success when I'm doing the backing. I also like that I can have access to my stuff just by pulling over or anyone other than the driver has access to most everything while still rolling down the road. The class A RV worked best for me.

I did go ask a lot of people in campgrounds what they like about their rigs. Many were quite accommodating in telling me what they liked and disliked. I even have a few things I will do different when I upgrade. I have 2 slide outs and will either get 3 slides or an RV that has 2 larger slides. My hot water heater is propane only. That's inconvenient when you have electric at every campground. Most RVs have duel heat for the hot water. 1 thing I won't budge on is the underside storage. I drag a lot of stuff with me. Fishing, boating, safety, float tubes, extra hoses, electric smoker, cold weather & rain gear, hiking gear, camping gear, tools, books, maps, you name it. Since it's my 'home' I also have important papers and some momentos.

So are in 7 years I've only managed to put an additional 25K miles on it. I'm more of a destination person in that I go somewhere and hang out for a few months. I spent 5 months in Geo. Washington National Forest, 3 months in Yellowstone NP, 3 months in Seward, AK, 2 months in Ninilchik, AK. I go to Jacksonville often and use the military campground on Solomons when I'm in Maryland. I figure I have 1K + nights spent in it so far.

The diesel motorhomes were more expensive initially and the fuel is a bit more costly per gallon. I'm at the point where I don't mind spending a bit extra money to go somewhere. I was paying well over $4 per gallon on my trip to Alaska in 2008. I was at the point of no return as far as hitting the road. Sure cheaper gas is better but I have no control over that.

And I always say this when referring to the RV or motor homing in general. What works for me may not work for you. I started out renting small class C RVs to vacation in Alaska. I loved doing it and I got a class B for a while. That was way too cramped so I traded in for the much larger class A. So I work with what I have. Currently in the process of putting more things into clear plastic bins so they store easier.

My boat also accompanies me on my trips. I found a boat that collapses. The seats and the transom provide the rigidity to make it sea worthy. I have safely had my boat in Lake Ontario, Yellowstone lake, St. Lawrence river, Kenai river and many other bodies of water. These are some big waters. The important thing is to watch the weather and boat smartly. I have brought 1,000s of fish over the side of the boat over the years.

Even my towed vehicle purchase was well researched. I tow 4 down. Al my truck tires are on the ground. Some people use a dolly. But you have to deal with the dolly when you are in camp which is annoying. I had to buy a standard transmission truck. It's a Ford Explorer. It has a small bed and 4 doors. Mostly gear is carried in the back seat. It's nice to have some place to stow gear and be able to lock it up. In a pinch I can take 5 people in my truck comfortably. My boat fits in the bed while it is assembled. I can launch and recover the boat by myself since it isn't that heavy. I have a 6 hp gas engine that attaches to the RV ladder plus a trolling motor and deep cycle battery. All this allows me to do my favorite pasttime.

Don't get me started on fishing gear. Lures alone I probably have about 400. (But I only have a dozen or so go-to lures) Then I have a few hundred fishing flies. Plus nets, terminal tackle, stringers, knives. And on & on.

So picking the right RV was an important part of the entire process. Just remember there is no right or wrong when selecting.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
So picking the right RV was an important part of the entire process. Just remember there is no right or wrong when selecting.

:clap: You've got yourself quite a setup and I think it makes a really home-y campground site. We've always had fun when y'all have entertained us there, and I'm quite impressed with all of it. The first time I ever visited your campground abode, I was (much to Foxhound's disappointment :lol:) like "meh" - I would probably never do that. Newp. (for a myriad of reasons, really, too much to detail here - but we've all talked about it.)

However, NOW, I'm actually a teeeensy envious of how cool it all is, and I can see myself actually doing this, albeit on a much smaller type scale: much smaller RV, and probably only short trips here and there, at first. But I am taking notes and will definitely be living vicariously through y'all's adventures as you pave the way. :biggrin:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
At the time I was shopping this was the best deal I found. I needed a lot of under storage space. .

Good stuff. I think folks will find this sort of dialogue very helpful as they ponder 'the life'.

So, low miles, I get it on the A. Makes sense. No mileage or durability concerns. Following comments are more in general for others benefits knowing you know most or all of this stuff;

A quick detach like a Blue Ox or similar makes it a convenient thing, totally with you on 4 down. Backing up a dolly is a challenge.

Your experience with fellow campers about their willingness to share is my experience as well. Folks are VERY eager to discuss their thoughts and decisions, what they'd change, what works fabulous.

I'm with you on space, too. That's everything and one of the reasons I leaned diesel or 5th wheel; typically more capacity, especially when it comes to weight. With the slides, most A's with two or more slides, I found, were as low as 1,500 #'s or so weight capacity. For others, the diesels typically come on heavier chassis thus ability to carry more weight. 5th wheelers, not needing to support trans, engine and the heavier suspension needed tend to be good for over a ton or more (which adds up QUICK!) For me, bikes, tools, parts, I had 100's of pounds just in toy gear never mind household stuff, clothing, outdoor gear. A gas A wouldn't work unless I towed a trailer which left me short a vehicle.

Good stuff, fun conversation!

Monello

PREMO Member
Where do you put the boat?

The boat folds up to about the size of a surf board. Folded it measures 12' by 2' by 4 inches. I ratchet strap it to the top of my truck. The seats and transom go in the bed of the truck or in 1 of the bays of the RV.

Monello

PREMO Member
A gas A wouldn't work unless I towed a trailer which left me short a vehicle.

Many campers tow a trailer that contains a golf cart. They use this to tool around the campground. But it doesn't allow you to tour the local area. 1 thing I learned is that you CAN'T take it all with you. Believe me, I tried.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Many campers tow a trailer that contains a golf cart. They use this to tool around the campground. But it doesn't allow you to tour the local area. 1 thing I learned is that you CAN'T take it all with you. Believe me, I tried.

Not even close. :lol: Hell, I didn't even begin to mention music gear; an amp or 3, couple guitars...plus, I want two dirt bikes, two enduro's and perhaps even two street bikes! :lol:

I knew I wanted a vehicle so that meant tow it or it is the tow vehicle OR, if I went big conversion, it could sit on the deck. I knew I wanted some sort of pick up truck, 4wd for sure, so, 'on the deck' went by the boards. So, towing it or it is doing the towing. Heck, I explored a custom 5th wheeler capable of storing a jeep and put the bikes on the deck of a rig conversion. Even looked at double towing. Looking at stackers, too.

In any event, y'all have the 'get around' vehicle covered. I like, very much, the idea being able to have bikes AND a pick up. Also figured I'd simply pick up bikes as I went along; have the primary street bike, find cheap enrduro's/dual sport and pure dirt as I went along, fix 'em up, get rid of them when moving time came. Considered that for extra vehicle, too. Same can be said of music gear or even boats so, it became the challenge of imagining what MOST of the time would look like. How long? Where? Etc...

Lot to consider!

Monello

PREMO Member
I saw this guy in Montana. He was active duty army doing a PCS move from Florida to Alaska. Now that was a guy who wanted to take it all with him. I can't imagine what he did with a snowmobile in the sunshine state.

truck.jpg

PJay

Vrai and Monello you have a very nice setup. Beautiful.

The video is not ours but the layout is the same. I chose this one because I like the roomy kitchen and storage. Got to have my kitchen stuff. We've made changes to fit a 70in 4k TV. Tossed the couch because we never used it and the table and chairs are history. I've added things I like. When someone steps
in the first thing they say is "wow." I've made it really comfortable and cozy.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5MmbjrC95bI

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Vrai and Monello you have a very nice setup. Beautiful.

The video is not ours but the layout is the same. I chose this one because I like the roomy kitchen and storage. Got to have my kitchen stuff. We've made changes to fit a 70in 4k TV. Tossed the couch because we never used it and the table and chairs are history. I've added things I like. When someone steps
in the first thing they say is "wow." I've made it really comfortable and cozy.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5MmbjrC95bI

I want one of these one day; http://www.horizonsrv.com/

They build for the full timer and are all too happy to customize. If I ever do it, I want ROBUST. Vacations RV's just always feel like I'm gonna break stuff. :buddies:

Monello

PREMO Member

They build for the full timer and are all too happy to customize. If I ever do it, I want ROBUST. Vacations RV's just always feel like I'm gonna break stuff. :buddies:

Mine is 10 model years old. The newer RVs have improved a lot. They have ditched the propane ovens in favor of a combo microwave/convection oven. Flat screen TVs, less carpet and more island kitchens.

An RV is just like a home. Stuff is breaking all the time. Awnings tear, tires flatten, windows break so it's no different than a stick & brick home.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
An RV is just like a home. Stuff is breaking all the time. Awnings tear, tires flatten, windows break so it's no different than a stick & brick home.

From my reading, and on the one forum there is a guy named Jack who is an owner/good will ambassador for them with ALL the pros and cons and things you never thought of from electric to hinges to fittings to wire and pipe routing and so on and on and on, it's the little things like that stuff that doesn't happen in a house that does happen in vacation style RV's that I'm concerned with.

PJay

Very nice! This is our third RV. Started out small and have worked our way up. I use to be afraid after traveling to open RV door, afraid of finding stuff broke. But, so far so good.

Hope you soon will be able to live your dream.