Extended Warranties

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I'll be one of the first to tell anyone to never buy an extended warranty. Waste of money. But I'll make one exception: home dehumidifiers.

They seem to fail pretty regularly sometime after the manufacturer's warranty expires, doesn't seem to matter what brand or style. So for the past 3 units going back quite a few years, I bought the extended warranty on each one for about $30 for 3 years per unit. And so far I've gotten nearly all of my purchase money back by filing a claim for a failed unit.

Bought a Midea from Wallymart 2 years ago, a year past the original warranty. Had the original receipt, because I knew I'd need it someday. The unit failed this week. Went to the Walmart warranty site, input some info, got re-directed to an Allstate site that handles the warranty. Couple of minutes inputting info, and within the hour was being issued a check for $200, original cost $235. I've done this now 3 times. Don't have to send back the failed unit. And I noticed there is a statement in the email that if a new unit costs the same or more than the original, you can submit a claim for the difference between the settled check price and the original unit price, so I can get back the entire purchase price of the failed unit.

This is the one exception that is worth every $.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I vaguely remember you mentioning this the last time it happened so learn from Gurps and resurrect the original thread rather than start a new one....because save the environment, decrease your footprint...
I'm old. I don't remember 3 days ago.

Clem72

I'll be one of the first to tell anyone to never buy an extended warranty. Waste of money. But I'll make one exception: home dehumidifiers.

They seem to fail pretty regularly sometime after the manufacturer's warranty expires, doesn't seem to matter what brand or style. So for the past 3 units going back quite a few years, I bought the extended warranty on each one for about $30 for 3 years per unit. And so far I've gotten nearly all of my purchase money back by filing a claim for a failed unit.

Bought a Midea from Wallymart 2 years ago, a year past the original warranty. Had the original receipt, because I knew I'd need it someday. The unit failed this week. Went to the Walmart warranty site, input some info, got re-directed to an Allstate site that handles the warranty. Couple of minutes inputting info, and within the hour was being issued a check for $200, original cost $235. I've done this now 3 times. Don't have to send back the failed unit. And I noticed there is a statement in the email that if a new unit costs the same or more than the original, you can submit a claim for the difference between the settled check price and the original unit price, so I can get back the entire purchase price of the failed unit.

This is the one exception that is worth every $.
Does walmart sell the extended warranty at the counter or was this an aftermarket thing you did?

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Our AHS home warranty has come in handy.
It covers appliances no matter how old they are.

phreddyp

Am I old? I don't remember.

But, surprisingly, I've a dehumidifier which has been working for over 10 years now; something I certainly never expected.
I had a couple over 20 years, let them go with the house I sold last summer, I don't remember the brand, but they were well used.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
AHS came in handy when I needed to replace heat pump and air handler.
In December 2020, they sent A&E Appliance Repair, who were able to fix the Maytag clothes washer we bought in September 1983.
I was able to fix the dryer about 14 years ago. Both run well.