Elon Musk Robot

SamSpade

Named "Optimus" - and guessing a possibility of copyright infringement -

This - is amazing.

NOW - admittedly, the robot in the video is LEARNING - it is being guided and helped. Eventually it will do what people do - remember everything and act in a corresponding manner.

SamSpade

Funny how everyone sort of knows the three laws, but they all derive from ONE PERSON.

Recently, there was an AI accident where the robot attacked a person - but only because the AI sucked, and it made incorrect conclusions.
WHICH - if you've read Asimov's robot stories, is the actual basis for most of the plots - apparent violations of the laws, when in fact, the problem was in INTERPRETATION of the laws.

glhs837

Power with Control
Does it obey the three laws?

Nor does it have a positronic brain. What it does have, though is a design that makes it weak and slow enough that a 12 year old could take one in a fight. Musk has a big fear of AI and Optimus is made so that it cannot be a real physical threat to humans.
Funny how everyone sort of knows the three laws, but they all derive from ONE PERSON.

Recently, there was an AI accident where the robot attacked a person - but only because the AI sucked, and it made incorrect conclusions.
WHICH - if you've read Asimov's robot stories, is the actual basis for most of the plots - apparent violations of the laws, when in fact, the problem was in INTERPRETATION of the laws.

Where was that? I don't recall hearing about it.

glhs837

Power with Control
Will it discover the Zeroth Law?
A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.”
Excited Tom Hiddleston GIF by Disney+

glhs837

Power with Control
Hope not; they'd have no time to do anything useful!

The trick there was that this Law, which the robots deduced, allowed them, nay required them, to sometimes allow or do terrible things to individual humans in the name of preventing greater harm to humanity.

Clem72

Named "Optimus" - and guessing a possibility of copyright infringement -

This - is amazing.

NOW - admittedly, the robot in the video is LEARNING - it is being guided and helped. Eventually it will do what people do - remember everything and act in a corresponding manner.

Needs a power cord or it runs out of battery in 15 minutes. Any notice the first prototype was bumblebee and the second was Optimus? Guess they didn't expect to need to many iterations to achieve perfection. What's the next one, Galvatron? Then maybe Unicron?

SamSpade

Where was that? I don't recall hearing about it.
And now I can't find it - it was about a week ago, it was about an AI error that allowed someone to get hurt - used in bashing or fomenting fear about AI. Now I can't find it. Weird.

glhs837

Power with Control
Needs a power cord or it runs out of battery in 15 minutes. Any notice the first prototype was bumblebee and the second was Optimus? Guess they didn't expect to need to many iterations to achieve perfection. What's the next one, Galvatron? Then maybe Unicron?

So the first one was "build a robot that can walk using commercially available parts. " This second one is built using Tesla designed and built hardware. Keeps the theme of vertical integration and designed for low cost efficient production. I think this is close to the final form, its going to be just incremental improvement from this. Where did you read about battery life?

DaSDGuy

Named "Optimus" - and guessing a possibility of copyright infringment -
Not likely.

Tesla Optimus.
Optimus Health Care.
Optimus GPS Tracker.
Optimus Realty Group.
Optimus Business Solutions.
Optimus Technology, Inc.

You get the idea. Optimus is a word in the public domain. Zero copyright infringent.

SamSpade

Not likely.

Tesla Optimus.
Optimus Health Care.
Optimus GPS Tracker.
Optimus Realty Group.
Optimus Technology, Inc.

You get the idea. Optimus is a word in the public domain. Zero copyright infringent.
I guess I was thinking - it IS a robot.

glhs837

Power with Control
Not likely.

Tesla Optimus.
Optimus Health Care.
Optimus GPS Tracker.
Optimus Realty Group.
Optimus Technology, Inc.

Evidently its a bit more nuanced than that. So of course, Optimus Prime is trademarked. But according to the below, Harbor also holds the word Optimus trademarked when used in vehicles. Same way Ford has say Mustang, or Model E. Which is why the Model 3 is the Model 3.Tesla wanted to spell out Sexy, but they couldn't use the E, so they got S3XY

So Tesla couldnt call the Cybertruck Optimus, but it can do that with the robot.

Clem72

So the first one was "build a robot that can walk using commercially available parts. " This second one is built using Tesla designed and built hardware. Keeps the theme of vertical integration and designed for low cost efficient production. I think this is close to the final form, its going to be just incremental improvement from this. Where did you read about battery life?
That was just a guess based on how long other roughly human shaped robots (like from Boston Dynamics) last untethered. Unless Elon has invented a new type of battery or more efficient servos specifically for this robot.

glhs837

Power with Control
That was just a guess based on how long other roughly human shaped robots (like from Boston Dynamics) last untethered. Unless Elon has invented a new type of battery or more efficient servos specifically for this robot.

So, the BD humanoid weighs around 190lbs. The first gen Optimus weighed about 160lbs. That was all COTS machinery. The Gen 2 weighs about 20bls less. As for batteries, I would expect they chose one specifically for performance and weight over robustness, since what a bot encounters would be far less dynamic than an automotive environment.

As for servos, why yes, they did. Part of designing for manufacturing is bringing things in house where your design teams can work together to optimize performance and ease/cost of manufacturing.

So, for assembly line type work, where it only has to walk around once in a while, it could stand on a charge point. At home, if it gets a an hour or two, and can top off from outlets where stationary tasks are commonly performed like the sink or bathroom, I think that's workable.