Electric Car News

phreddyp

So, the charging network is a business even though it didn't start that way. Should they have kept buying plots and installing the stuff to connect? Must be a reason they are not. Is it a good reason? Can't say, don't have the data. So about the risk. The Superchargers others are installing are not TEsla branded, so maybe that's a mitigation against?

And yep, integration is a huge money saver. Reduce the number of middlemen for your parts, reduce the integration cost and timeline. How does the Tesla specific SC network look in a year or two? No idea.
Closed!

glhs837

Power with Control
Tesla can't say either now, they have given up control of their biggest selling point. Unless there was some other deal that caused them to do this it is too big of a risk IMHO. Maybe no monopoly lawsuit if they do this?

They've not given up control of the Tesla branded SCs and that network. Could be they have elected to spend that money elsewhere. Optimus, the 25K car, robotaxi, battery storage? All of these have the pretty strong potential to be huge money makers over and above anything the SC network might bring in.

Cold be they are just making a stupid choice..... Check back in two years. One thing about them, nobody's two year prediction on them has ever been right.

phreddyp

Sometimes things take longer than quarters for the rea effects to be known.
The stuff I have talked about I thought would show up in the 3rd quarter but showed up in the 1st quarter. Who knows what the 3rd quarter will bring, but my guess it will NOT go well for Tesla.

glhs837

Power with Control
The stuff I have talked about I thought would show up in the 3rd quarter but showed up in the 1st quarter. Who knows what the 3rd quarter will bring, but my guess it will NOT go well for Tesla.

That's why I said a year or two down the road. We were talking about the changes to the SC plan and its effects.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'm eagerly awaiting the critical point where many of these devices using the superchargers will kill the battery capacity to unusable range and they have to pull 15-20k out of their ass to keep it running.

Kinnakeet

They've not given up control of the Tesla branded SCs and that network. Could be they have elected to spend that money elsewhere. Optimus, the 25K car, robotaxi, battery storage? All of these have the pretty strong potential to be huge money makers over and above anything the SC network might bring in.

Cold be they are just making a stupid choice..... Check back in two years. One thing about them, nobody's two year prediction on them has ever been right.
2 years they will be in a junk yard and proving PT Barnum right...there is a sucker born every minute.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
yeah.

Many of the articles I've read stated that faster charging diminished the range of the battery, vs slow trickle charging that could be done at home.
That's my plan. I did put in a 30A outlet for a level 2 charger, but the Aptera can get well over 100 miles a night on just a wall plug, and will accept additional charge from external solar panels. Slow and easy. Not planning on any trips longer than 2 or 3 hundred miles, well within the estimate 400 mile range.

phreddyp

That's my plan. I did put in a 30A outlet for a level 2 charger, but the Aptera can get well over 100 miles a night on just a wall plug, and will accept additional charge from external solar panels. Slow and easy. Not planning on any trips longer than 2 or 3 hundred miles, well within the estimate 400 mile range.
Solar panels? You would have better luck emptying your toilet with a teaspoon.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Solar panels? You would have better luck emptying your toilet with a teaspoon.
The car has solar panels built in, 700watts. I have 1070watts of solar panels for a total combined solar panel input of about 1.7Kw. A wall plug is 1.8Kw. Solar charging during the day will most likely negate the need for any wall plug charge at night, even if it's parked in the garage and only charging from the external panels.

The Aptera's charge and power usage is unlike any other electric vehicle out there.

phreddyp

The car has solar panels built in, 700watts. I have 1070watts of solar panels for a total combined solar panel input of about 1.7Kw. A wall plug is 1.8Kw. Solar charging during the day will most likely negate the need for any wall plug charge at night, even if it's parked in the garage and only charging from the external panels.

The Aptera's charge and power usage is unlike any other electric vehicle out there.
Pretty cool. But only good on a sunny day correct?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Pretty cool. But only good on a sunny day correct?
There is still significant gain on overcast days. My truck sits in the garage for days at a time these days, and I rarely travel more than a few miles to get all my chores done. Just the solar panels on the Aptera alone, with no additional input, is supposed to yield about 40 miles a day. I'll take that with a grain of salt and halve it, so 20 miles a day. The amount of solar gain over a number of days exceeds my anticipated normal usage, so it will pretty much guarantee a full (80%) charge when I do need it.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm eagerly awaiting the critical point where many of these devices using the superchargers will kill the battery capacity to unusable range and they have to pull 15-20k out of their ass to keep it running.
Well the data we have so far it says you're wrong. Turns out that fast charging isn't as bad as a lot of folks thought.

2 years they will be in a junk yard and proving PT Barnum right...there is a sucker born every minute.

This says you just might be wrong.....

But hey, who needs facts, right? If you know a guy who says different, that's the same as measured data, right? :)