Deep Fryer

SamSpade

I think I have seen some very heavy short cords at Lowes.

I violate this with my smoker all the time, use a 50ft 14 awg cord, it can keep up though. I really should buy a better extension cord for some of the things I plug into these things like table saw, planner etc.
Your smoker is electric? How does that work?

SamSpade

It heats a cabinet and there are wood chips in a metal bowl above the heating element. Makes some awesome meals, set it and forget it. It's a master craft from Lowe's btw. Hardest thing is cleaning it afterwards.
I have one like that - electric is actually heating and burning pellets, like hickory or applewood? If it's the same one, agreed, cleaning is a bear because you can't clean it right away.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
It heats a cabinet and there are wood chips in a metal bowl above the heating element. Makes some awesome meals, set it and forget it. It's a master craft from Lowe's btw. Hardest thing is cleaning it afterwards.
Mine works a bit differently. There is a hopper that you fill with flavored pellets, and an auger feeds the pellets into the burn pot fired by an electric element. Pellet feed is computer controlled to maintain desired temp. cleanup is as simple as vacuuming out the pot. Draws about 300 watts, so an extension cord is no biggie.

PeoplesElbow

Mine works a bit differently. There is a hopper that you fill with flavored pellets, and an auger feeds the pellets into the burn pot fired by an electric element. Pellet feed is computer controlled to maintain desired temp. cleanup is as simple as vacuuming out the pot. Draws about 300 watts, so an extension cord is no biggie.
That's fancier than mine

Attachments

• PXL_20210425_184426497~3.jpg
    PXL_20210425_184426497~3.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 55

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The machine itself comes with a breakaway cord of about TWO FEET. Seriously, you'd have to SIT IT NEXT to the outlet to work, and wife doesn't like it done indoors.

But still, my question - does ANYONE fry with electric?
I do and haven’t had a problem. I have the masterbuilt xl so possibly the extra capacity is the reason.

SamSpade

I think we have the same one. Had a problem a year ago, I let water get into the pellet bin - leaked into the augur channel - and solidified the pellets. Had to take the damned thing apart, and it was still a chore getting all that solid pellet crap out. Never again. I have a cover, and it goes on the second it cools down.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I think we have the same one. Had a problem a year ago, I let water get into the pellet bin - leaked into the augur channel - and solidified the pellets. Had to take the damned thing apart, and it was still a chore getting all that solid pellet crap out. Never again. I have a cover, and it goes on the second it cools down.
Mine is very small, portable. I'm always concerned that water is going to foul the computer or controls, so I move it to a protected spot.

SamSpade

So I have ONE more outing this year where I need the heat for this. That cord is just too damned short. I’m gonna risk a short but heavy duty extension.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
So I have ONE more outing this year where I need the heat for this. That cord is just too damned short. I’m gonna risk a short but heavy duty extension.
Don't do that. I have one, rated for 20A (2400 watts), about 4 foot long. It's yours. I made it for a hot tub connection, but don't need it now.

If you need it a little longer, I can build one, take a few minutes.

SamSpade

Don't do that. I have one, rated for 20A (2400 watts), about 4 foot long. It's yours. I made it for a hot tub connection, but don't need it now.

If you need it a little longer, I can build one, take a few minutes.
I appreciate that but - the fryer end is this fussy magnetic end. And they don’t cost much.