Any local F1 fans?

Broke90GSX

Originally posted by tatercake
:duh: Where is there room for a Nascar track in DC? Even if it was a half-mile oval like Bristol ... :shrug:

Clear the idiots off the beltway though and I'm sure they'll flock! :lol:

Good point, but the cars were hitting 200mph+ in the straightaway on the circuit. Not to shabby for a quickly thrown together track. Too bad the damn hippies in the surrounding neighborhoods complained about the noise. Big deal it was 3 days out of the year they had it. The race promoter also offered everyone in the surrounding hoods' free passes to the race. Oh well, maybe next year.

Rob

tater

Originally posted by Peter Solberg
There are less common forms of auto racing such as Grand Am, SPEED GT, Aussie Super Cars, Rolex Sports Cars and even street legal exotic sports cars that can complete a road course such as Watkins Glen quicker than a NASCAR.

Weren't you the one talking about comparing apples to oranges? :confused:
Different cars :dur:

Maybe I'm just partial to watching the rednecks race on a variety of tracks with close finishes. :ohwell: If you ever went to a Bristol, you'd understand a little better. But again, it's personal preference. Some peeps like carving ducks out of wood :shrug:

I did watch a part of an F-1 race once and I think I seen one pass the whole time and the leader had about a 45 second lead over second place. It was riveting :rolleyes:

Petter Solberg

Originally posted by Broke90GSX
Good point, but the cars were hitting 200mph+ in the straightaway on the circuit. Not to shabby for a quickly thrown together track. Too bad the damn hippies in the surrounding neighborhoods complained about the noise. Big deal it was 3 days out of the year they had it. The race promoter also offered everyone in the surrounding hoods' free passes to the race. Oh well, maybe next year.

Rob

The DC Grand Prix was a great event. It was nice to hear and see Audi's, Corvettes, Porsche's, BMW's, Saleens and Panoz's duking it out on that temporary circuit. Unfortunately it won't happen again. All future event's are cancelled. All of the DC circuit retaining walls were sold to Summit Point Raceway to be used on the new Shenandoah Track. Maybe we will see a major sports car race take place at Summit Point in the future.

tater

I started the thread with "Any local F1 fans

You asked in your first post "what racing do the locals like" :confused:

granted, you did say besides Nascar, but to me there nothing else (cept for supercross and motocross) :biggrin:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by tater
even sometimes the crashes (as long as they aren't serious and it's someone like Kurt Busch or Jeff Gordon :lol:).

One thing I never understood. When dale smacked the wall and died a few years ago, rednecks all across america were stunned. They couldn't understand how such a thing could happen. Well, the laws of physics are NOT on your side when you're going 200 mph+ and hit a wall.

Petter Solberg

:confused:

Well, go show 'em how it's done............ peter

Wasn't it you that made this comment?

Didn't I start this thread with "Any local F1 fans"

This is a pointless argument. We all have our opinions. I have no interest in NASCAR, however I believe that it does contain some talented drivers. If I want to watch a "stock car" race I will watch the SPEED GT races and other sports car races where cars such as Vette's, Porsche's, Ferrari's and Mustangs race. My thread wasn't started to initiate the typical F1 and NASCAR argument, it was to search out other F1 fans.

Last edited:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by SmallTown
One thing I never understood. When dale smacked the wall and died a few years ago, rednecks all across america were stunned. They couldn't understand how such a thing could happen. Well, the laws of physics are NOT on your side when you're going 200 mph+ and hit a wall.

it's not that peeps thought it could never happen. it was the way that specific accident happened ... it didn't look 'that bad' compared to others that were far worse and the driver managed to walk away.

to put it in terms you can understand (non-redneckese :wink:), Dale Sr. dying was as big a blow to nascar fans as Kennedy being shot to the non-redneck world. :wink:

tater

Originally posted by SmallTown

Well, if you've seen many Nascar crashes, you'd understand. Crashes very similar to his (and worse) happen all the time and the dudes get out and walk away. Yes, he was going 190 mph or so, but he scrubbed off alot of speed going sideways first, plus there was some sort of seatbelt malfunction or misinstallation and that was (imho), mostly responsible.

tater

Wasn't it you that made this comment?

Yes, what's that got to do with anything?

You were talking about how they suck at road courses, so I said that. Whatever dude. I'll get out of your F-1 tread. I'm not in the mood right now to go back and forth. I'm already ####y because there's not a race on this weekend worth a damn
:cool:

Petter Solberg

You asked in your first post "what racing do the locals like" :confused:

granted, you did say besides Nascar, but to me there nothing else (cept for supercross and motocross) :biggrin:

Well, we can agree on one thing. I am a motocross fan. I used to ride myself. I had a 91 YZ-250, and have been out to Budds Creek a few times with the Southern Maryland Dirt Riders.

Last edited:

tater

Well, we can agree on one thing. I am a motocross fan. I used to ride myself. I had a 91 YZ-250, and have been out to Budds Creek a few times with the Southern Maryland Dirt Riders.

I was in SMDR too :lmao:

*It's a small world after all*

had a 1999 YZ400, then a 2000 CR250 :dude:

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Good rebutle:rolleyes:
For your eye rolling - :biteme:

Plastic F1s?
More like Carbon Fibre
Yeah I know they use carbon fiber and other newer lightweight and strong materials, but they look nothing close to a regular automobile, hence my use of the word “plastic”.

Can't even support a jack?
What are you talking about? F1 cars are extremely rigid.
Rigid? Bs, ever see what happens when they bump another vehicle or scrape the wall. They are gone, done, finito. There usually isn’t much left except for the pilot’s capsule with even a minor incident.

Looks like advanced go-carting?
Well maybe. I know of shifter karts that can give a NASCAR a good run for the money on a twisty course, and only have a 250cc engine.
That's what it seems like to me. It's the highest level that you can take open-wheel racing to. It wasn't a slam, just my opinion. These guys operate just a notch below being airborne and the shear speed and sleekness of the machines are impressive, but it isn't my cup of tea (maybe because there are too many Europeans driving and not much of an American presence with the machines. You know, kind of like soccer when it is called football.).

I know most locals prefer NASCAR, and NASCAR is OK. I started the thread with "Any local F1 fans", not, "lets compare NASCAR and F1". Apples and oranges.
You're right it's apples and oranges. I prefer the stock-car "style" (notice my removal of that offensive term - NASCAR) and you seem to like F1, no problem. Any form of racing is fun in my opinion, but there is nothing like the way the stock-cars beat on each other and always seem to have one hell of a battle all the way to the finish. I like the dirt bikes, any form of boat racing, and drag racing too. About the only form I don’t care for are the pulls and Monster type stadium stuff, beyond that it’s all good.