2023 Hummingbird Thread

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Finally! Standing out on my deck fishing and one just buzzed by. Cleaned out the feeder and refilled with fresh nectar. Maybe he’ll come back.
Wait a minute! You can just walk out your door fish from your deck? 😍

NOTSMC

There was one in Ridge. My neighbor has four feeders out. Only one Hummer spotted though. And he has not returned. Apparently only passing through.
I had one in Saint Inigoes. Guess he was on his way to Ridge, haven't seen him since. However, two days ago, I had a turkey pecking at what had fallen on the ground out of the bird feeder. That was a new one.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
After about 2 weeks of nothing, one lone male red throat is back.

When I was cleaning the feeders today, it hit me that I had the perfect tool for cleaning the holes, which can get pretty crummy. My paint spray gun came with a miniature bottle brush set that is perfect. Found the 5mm/.2inch brush worked fine. This is similar to the one I have, but has bigger sizes.

Amazon product

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Had a pleasant surprise yesterday, a bird I had never seen before. Female Indigo Bunting. It was attacking my window (not my photo).

297333881-720px.jpg

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I now think there are 4. One of the females was at the feeder when she got buzzed by the other female.

I cleaned it on Sunday and filled it with a cup of nectar and it is almost gone again.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I’ve been having at least 3 regular visitors. I think two females and one male. I need to refill the feeder quite often now.

I have two bird houses in my yard. House sparrows in one and blue birds in the other. I think both are on to raising their second batch. I let my dog out earlier to do her business and a male blue bird kept dive bombing her. I saw a baby blue bird on my table on the deck and then saw another baby in the side yard. Hopefully momma and poppa stay on top of feeding them and keep them corralled away from the canal.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Mine have been hitting the feeder hard. I put 2 cups of nectar in on Friday and its already down 1.5".

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Mine have been hitting the feeder hard. I put 2 cups of nectar in on Friday and its already down 1.5".
HaHa, 1 feeder gets six to eight cups a day now and the other gets two cups every three or four days. The one that uses less seems to have a really ornery bully wanting it all to himself, he patrols it and chases about all others away.

Also, never really noticed before but I have one that seems to whistle when it comes zooming by, kind of like a turbocharger whine.