TORNADO!

3CATSAILOR

Well, the tornado was said on TV to have "toiuched down" in the Dameron / Ridge area and over St. Jerome's Creek. It was spotted on radar as it came across the Potomac. However, they admited their radar for this far South is not good. The Baynet said in advance there was a "Tornado "Watch" that we were in a "slight risk" of a tornado. Sometimes a slight risk becomes a high risk when conditions change. I guess it did. USA TV 9, Washington D.C. reported the tornado warning. I complement them for taking eveything else off of the air and staying with it. At one point they claimed it was on the ground. However, folks I talked to in the area said they haven't seen any evidence of it. If it touched down as they said, I am not sure where it did. Perhaps it touched down briefly.

Breezeline broke in WTH the warning interrupting whatever was on. It was annoying it simply said for St. Mary’s but didn’t narrow it down.

TPD

the poor dad
I had 4 different people text me in a 20min timespan this afternoon about the tornado that hit my farm in Scotland. They were adamant it happened. I called my tenant who lives at the farm and she said she saw nor heard anything that indicated a tornado. Not sure where these 4 people got their news. I didn’t waste my time going to the farm this evening to check it out.

However about 10 minutes ago, we had a strange occurrence here in Dameron where the lights went out a couple of times but then came on and remained on. It idid take out cellular service on my phone for about 4 minutes- SOS only - and breezeline tv and internet is still not working. Very weird.

3CATSAILOR

Channel 9 local news was definitely tracking as if there was a funnel touching ground.
Yeah, they claimed on TV it briefly touched down. Apparently they briefly saw a debris field on radar. I talked to the EM folks and Heather today. Heather said they got the alert from the Severe Storms Forecast Center. She put it on the radio at 4:26PM. Some cell phones activated. Mine is set for warnings in my area. It did NOT go off. My wife's cell DID go off warning of a tornado.

The Ridge Fire Department siren went off for a three minute period warning of the tornado. Tornado sirens are only for "three minutes". That's all they are required to do.

I am told that there is talk of tornado sirrens to be eventually eliminated. The thought process by the idots on the National level who are resposible for our safety said they are no longer needed since they have an assumption that everyone has cell phones that can be alerted and that they assume their cell phones are set for an alert. Never mind Senior Citizens and others that do NOT have cell phones! That's really messed up!

mitzi

Well, the tornado was said on TV to have "toiuched down" in the Dameron / Ridge area and over St. Jerome's Creek. It was spotted on radar as it came across the Potomac. However, they admited their radar for this far South is not good. The Baynet said in advance there was a "Tornado "Watch" that we were in a "slight risk" of a tornado. Sometimes a slight risk becomes a high risk when conditions change. I guess it did. USA TV 9, Washington D.C. reported the tornado warning. I complement them for taking eveything else off of the air and staying with it. At one point they claimed it was on the ground. However, folks I talked to in the area said they haven't seen any evidence of it. If it touched down as they said, I am not sure where it did. Perhaps it touched down briefly.

WUSA Weather always stay on it. They (Topper) are the best.

3CATSAILOR

Breezeline broke in WTH the warning interrupting whatever was on. It was annoying it simply said for St. Mary’s but didn’t narrow it down.
Yeah, the EM folks I talked to today told me about it. It annoyed them too. He said the entire County assumed a tornado was coming. Hopefully they can get it squared away a little better for the future.

3CATSAILOR

The wife and I were walking on the beach this afternoon. We noticed a water spout over the Bay. You could clearly see the water kicking up as it made contact with the Bay. We watched it until it disapiated. This is only a day after the Tornado Warning. Interesting - It was almost exactly 24 hours later.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The wife and I were walking on the beach this afternoon. We noticed a water spout over the Bay. You could clearly see the water kicking up as it made contact with the Bay. We watched it until it disapiated. This is only a day after the Tornado Warning. Interesting - It was almost exactly 24 hours later.
Just had a rather violent little weather front blow through St. George's Island from the west. Peaked at about 1630.

GregV814

Boring trivia fact #620

The Tornados were a 1960's UK rock band, basically studio cats, who played Joe Meeeks instrumental progressive songs, (for 1962) including their biggest hit, Telstar.
Joe went on to kill a roommate and commit suicide.

Tech

Is there a map with the designated zones when they give these alerts? When they say central county, what area is this? Southern eastern county?

Blister

I was cutting my grass in Northern St. Mary's during the LaPlata, to Benedict, to Calvert tornado in 2002. Never knew anything happened. I have all Warnings, Alerts(Amber, & Silver) turned off. When it's my time, I want to get sucked up like Dorothy and hopefully wake up in
Oz.

3CATSAILOR

Is there a map with the designated zones when they give these alerts? When they say central county, what area is this? Southern eastern county?
That's a real good question. I'll look in to it. I know they activate the siren of the Fire Department closest to the area of the alert. The problem is most folks don't know what the tornado siren souinds like. Supposedly, the County EM folks claim on 5/1/2024 at 12 noon they will test the tornado siren. I still think three minutes is hardly anything. For example, if you are in your house for the three minutes and then come outside, how would you know?

3CATSAILOR

So far, we have dodged quite a few of these tornadoes over the years. Even the Water Spout over the Creek stayed over the Creek. I do remember one many years ago, 15 or 20 years I guess. A large tornado came across. I never heard any warning on anything. My brother in law called and yelled "TAKE COVER NOW!" Screamed it. Wife and I went outside to see what he was talking about. Bad mistake. By that time, it was over top of us. I looked up and saw the most deep, wierd looking dark green you have ever seen. It was probably no more than 20 yards off the ground. It had a very wide rotation. I would say at least the distance of a football field wide. I know I was protected that day. If it dropped we would have been killed or dropped out in the Bay.

Tech

That's a real good question. I'll look in to it. I know they activate the siren of the Fire Department closest to the area of the alert. The problem is most folks don't know what the tornado siren souinds like. Supposedly, the County EM folks claim on 5/1/2024 at 12 noon they will test the tornado siren. I still think three minutes is hardly anything. For example, if you are in your house for the three minutes and then come outside, how would you know?
One problem is that the tornado siren in my area is just the fire siren, though the fire department doesn't use it anymore, that sounds longer. About a mile away only hear about half the time.
They are now spearkers/pa systems, distinctive can be used. Plus since they don't need a large amount of power like the old ones could more installed in the region? The question what is easiest, fastest way to alert the people to take adaptive action.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Saw a news story about damage to some buildings in Calao...F-1 tornado. That's straight across the river from TPD's place.

• Wow
Reactions: TPD