Montana halts wolf trapping and hunting in certain areas of the state

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Several wolves from Yellowstone National Park were killed after leaving park grounds

Wolf hunting is over for the season in southern parts of Montana.

State officials had previously voted to end the season after several wolves from the Yellowstone area were killed by hunters once outside state park's borders. While these kills weren't illegal, the situation did raise concerns with local wildlife officials.

Fox News previously reported that the Montana Fish and Wildlife Commission voted to pause wolf trapping and hunting in areas in southern Montana once 82 wolves had been harvested. That threshold has reportedly been hit and the state has ordered wolf hunters to remove equipment from the area.

During the recent hunting season, 20 wolves from Yellowstone were shot by hunters – only about 94 wolves are still living in the park. It is believed that all the wolves of the Phantom Lake Pack have been killed since October, meaning that the pack is now considered eliminated.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I have family in Montana, and more than a few have watched the wolves skulking around while an elk cow is giving birth. As soon as the calf is free, the wolves swoop in and carry it away.

Reintroducing wolves to the American West was not a well thought out plan. Neither was bringing coyotes to So MD.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Yeah nobody really brought the coyotes. They are filling in the spaces where the wolves used to be centuries ago. They don’t overlap in range. It’s just taking them a century plus to migrate through generations.

Be prepared… we’re going to have bears as well.

Whether it’s pleasing or not that’s kind of the role wolves have in Nature. They prey on the old, young and weak and push the other predators out of their territory. The south eastern US used to have red wolves, but they were hunted to extinction.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Yeah nobody really brought the coyotes. They are filling in the spaces where the wolves used to be centuries ago. They don’t overlap in range. It’s just taking them a century plus to migrate through generations.

Be prepared… we’re going to have bears as well.

Whether it’s pleasing or not that’s kind of the role wolves have in Nature. They prey on the old, young and weak and push the other predators out of their territory. The south eastern US used to have red wolves, but they were hunted to extinction.
We have had a couple of sightings already.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The town where I grew up now has deer in many neighborhoods. Growing up we didn't have any deer in the county. It's mostly cement and asphalt, 15 miles west of Manhattan. Those buggers sure learned how to adapt.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Several wolves from Yellowstone National Park were killed after leaving park grounds

Wolf hunting is over for the season in southern parts of Montana.

State officials had previously voted to end the season after several wolves from the Yellowstone area were killed by hunters once outside state park's borders. While these kills weren't illegal, the situation did raise concerns with local wildlife officials.

Fox News previously reported that the Montana Fish and Wildlife Commission voted to pause wolf trapping and hunting in areas in southern Montana once 82 wolves had been harvested. That threshold has reportedly been hit and the state has ordered wolf hunters to remove equipment from the area.

During the recent hunting season, 20 wolves from Yellowstone were shot by hunters – only about 94 wolves are still living in the park. It is believed that all the wolves of the Phantom Lake Pack have been killed since October, meaning that the pack is now considered eliminated.

All those friggin’ Left Coasters moving in, changing Montana just like the states they left.

black dog

Free America
I am a hunter, for food animals and hate the killing of predators.

Wait until your hunting area gets over run with coyotes or pigs.
Coyotes are thick as thieves here. With the explosion of fox and coyotes the last 10-15 years, game birds are almost nonexistent on my neighbors and my place.

black dog

Free America
Part of that is under hunting pressure, they have larger litters.

As for pigs, Food.

A few pigs have been shot over the last two years in the county, tillable land owners hunt hard when one or a litter has been seen....

I will have them in 2-3 years, their is just to many to kill all of them...
I have always used a bolt gun for coyotes, im thinking about up grading to a AR with 77 grainers.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
The only Big Cats we have in Indiana are Bobcats in southern and central IN...
No Cougars here, not even in the bars.
They're hanging out in Fru-Fru Coffee Shops, Aromatherapy shops and Fusion Cuisine restaurants scoping for Gen-Zs.