Good place for hardwoods?

SamSpade

As I mentioned in another thread, where I had the idiot idea of repurposing pallets for outdoor furniture -

Clearly there are woods that are better than others, and I don't think pressure treated furniture is a good idea - aside from the fact that it just LOOKS awful.

Some friends have suggested different hardwoods to try, but I really don't know of a good place for them. Places like Lowe's have awful selection, huge markups and almost no pieces of the size and shape I need.

One person suggested a place the Amish have up on 236. If you know about them - do they kiln dry or otherwise dry out their wood?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Lumber liquidators in Waldorf has some good hardwoods in the same size ranges as you would get from pallets.

SandieGarry

Franks Wood Products, 40755 Bishop Rd, Mechanicsville, Md 20659 301-475-5757. He sells only local lumber, I believe all of it is milled by the Amish and he sells it. Great guy to deal with. If you want some non-native species, Dennis over at Md Select Hardwoods is the best. Depending on your location, I'd call either one.

PeoplesElbow

As I mentioned in another thread, where I had the idiot idea of repurposing pallets for outdoor furniture -

Clearly there are woods that are better than others, and I don't think pressure treated furniture is a good idea - aside from the fact that it just LOOKS awful.

Some friends have suggested different hardwoods to try, but I really don't know of a good place for them. Places like Lowe's have awful selection, huge markups and almost no pieces of the size and shape I need.

One person suggested a place the Amish have up on 236. If you know about them - do they kiln dry or otherwise dry out their wood?
Should have said so earlier, but you won't find anything better than Ipe. I made a deck from it.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

limblips

PREMO Member
When I read the title my mind jumped to Rosie's. It took a while but I got it out of my head and now you post exotic lumber. .